Saturday, February 16, 2013

Bitter Big Mouth...Again

Throughout the years, way before I became "bitter", I had a big mouth.  I've had it all my life.  According to my parents I spoke very early in life and never shut up.  I spoke early & learned to boss others early.  I was the "queen" of pre-school and truth told, the bossy never left me. Nor did the big mouth.  Sometimes the big mouth gets me in trouble. Ok...lots of times.  As I get older though I'm learning to stand behind the words that spew forth from my mouth. I take ownership of the things I say...right or wrong.

I never meant to be a radio chick.  I kinda fell into it & developed a love for it.  I was one of the lucky people in radio:  I got put on a heritage morning show after only three months on the air full time.  Quite the feat for a chick with little experience.   I learned quickly that radio was and still is a "boys club."  For years I played by the rules, always underestimating my talent, and took a back seat to those I worked with.  As the years went on, I continued to try hard to be successful in the radio business & I realized that a "bitch" attitude would be my only shield in a corporation where guys rule.  Don't misunderstand me, women can be successful in radio but only if they're willing to put up with a lot of bullshit.  Either guys are hitting on you & trying to play grab ass or they pick on you relentlessly.  It's how it goes. A woman must have a truly thick skin to truly become a success in this business.   A few years ago I thought there was the real possibility that I would become a success in radio.  Now, I doubt it.  I always told myself that I'd get our of radio when it wasn't fun anymore.  I do believe that time is close.

Unfortunately for me, I get sick.  Lots.  I have had an autoimmune disease a few years back & my body just doesn't like to cooperate sometimes.  For the last week I've had a severe case of bronchitis. Total pain.  To go along with the chest pain & cough, I lost my voice.  NOT festive when you talk for a living.  I had to take three days off work much to the dismay of the guys I work with. Now don't misunderstand me, I recognize their frustration.   It's hard to work as a team when a player isn't there. Sadly, they weren't as understanding about my situation.   Taking crap from guys is what I do and I think I handle it well...on the radio & off. There is a limit though.  Not just for me as a female but as a person.  Even bitter bitches have feelings. That seemed to escape some of the guys I work with.  Not a great time when people take shots at ya when you aren't there to defend yourself.  Especially not a great time when your home with no voice, on an inhaler to breathe and on numerous drugs.

I'm not throwing anyone under the bus nor am I trying to feel sorry for myself.  It is what it is.  I over-reacted to the situation and opened my big mouth. I did what you "shouldn't do" in corporate America...I shot off an angry email.  I  didn't act properly & showed my ass to a certain degree. I admit my faults.   I'm defenitely not perfect. My big mouth may have gotten me in trouble.  Hell, As I write this I realize that my big mouth may even get me fired.  Risk I take having a big mouth.  Especially in a "boys world."  Although I regret letting my emotions take over before my brain could catch up, I don't regret how I feel.  Sometimes stepping away from your day to day life puts things in perspective.

I'm bitter with a big mouth.  I don't play by the rules well. Never have.  Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it isn't.  At the end of the day, I just wanna be happy.  Change has always scared me but maybe a change is exactly what my big mouth needs.

3 comments:

  1. You do what have to do Mel.... You are human...
    Maybe what you did was not a good idea. but, yiu can only take so much shit... Push my buttons too much and I will explode......... I do hope you stay, but if you decide not to, I will not listen to the "boys" anymore,, simply because it wont be the same with out you..... You are the real deal.... Do not put on airs and you are down to earth.... Don't let anyone bring you down!!! And sometimes, Change, however scary and unknown....is a good thing.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel we are who we are and cant change that. People accept us for that or they dont. Real friends will. I know you dont know me but from reading you page and comments. Your freinds would want you any other way. Yes we are all human and make mistakes, its how we deal with them that counts, Hope you get to feeling better soon Who would think such a beautiful vibrant body could harbour such illness, Your freind (yes i would like to be) Enoch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change is scary, but regret is scarier

    ReplyDelete